Thursday, March 1, 2012

Two of the Busiest weeks EVER!!!

 

It started with our Dexter escaping from his new home.  This little Blue Heeler was so bonded to me that I was afraid he might have a hard time.  Well.... he managed to escape on Wednesday, the 22nd, on a huge farm (40 + acres).  The new owner called me in a panic.  He had been trying to catch him for over two hours.  By the time I got there, Dexter had disappeared.  I called and called for over two hours - I drove up and down the road looking for him.  I finally decided to go home, make some flyers, and try to get as many people in the area looking for him as possible. 

Once the flyers were completed, I headed back to the ranch to start giving them out.  When I pulled up the drive, there was Dexter sitting by the gate.  I was so relieved that tears started flowing.  That little bugger had stolen my heart and I was so afraid he was gone forever.  He just didn't realize that his new home was the perfect place for him.  The new owner and I spent an hours just sitting on the porch visiting.  Fortunately, he wasn't upset with Dexter and just the dog to be realize that the ranch was now home.  I led Dexter back to the kennel where a big bowl of food was waiting. 

I have received a couple of pictures of Dex and texts from the owner letting me know all is well!!!

After all of that drama, I hurried back home to get things in order before church.  I got everyone fed, kennels cleaned, and a bit of something to eat then left for church.  When I returned home, just over an hour later, Snow had a present for me!!!  A beautiful newborn puppy was in the crate -  I quickly relocated her to my spare bathroom where I had prepared a place for her to have babies.  By midnight we had 7 beautiful puppies.  Mama Snow was a recent rescue from a cruelty case.  Someone had shot her in the leg and broken her jaw. 

That very same day, I received a call about four horses in a field and two of them were down.  I met Tangihumane and a deputy from the Sheriff's office at the scene.  I wasn't prepared for what I saw.  The two downed horses were still alive, but were just living skeletons.  Those poor horses were starving.  I called Dr. Scott Smith and he rushed to the location.  Dr. Smith recommended that the two downed horses be put down.  He administered the shot and the horses died peacefully, no longer starving to death.


The owner has been charged with two felony counts of aggrevated cruelty to animals and two counts of simple cruelty to animals.  These are serious charges and it is unlikely the owner will ever see his horses again.  We picked up the two remaining horses the next day.  They are now happy to food and clean water every day!


A few days later I get a call about two little dogs that had been left in a home for two weeks when the owners were arrested for drugs.  A family member had been going over them to feed them, but once the power was turned off, she could no longer care for the dogs.  Stella and Frank are two tiny little love bugs!!!  They are between 5 and 7 years of age and get along with everyone.  They need permanent homes so please spread the word.   They are crate trained and at one time were housebroken.  However, after two weeks with no one in the home, they have regressed a bit.  It won't take long for them to remember that inside it NOT the place to go potty! 

To add to all of this, it is time to get the garden ready for planting.  We have been working on our square food garden and raised beds getting them ready for spring planting.  I have included a picture of last year's garden to keep me inspired!

1 comment:

  1. Can you tell me if Stella & Frank have been adopted yet?

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete