Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I can't believe it is JULY already!!!

Wow, July is here.  Where has the time gone?  Why am I always behind in posting news?  Our Facebook page is updated almost daily, but I just don't seem to have time for blogging.  I have also been frustrated with blogspots new format.  Just when I was getting somewhat proficient, they go and change things.  This is not good.

The economy is taking a toll on the animals.  As people move to downsize, the pets are often the casualities.  In recent weeks, both Tangihumane and the Louisiana Humane Society have seen a rising number of abandoned pets.  Combine that with the owners who want to surrender their loved dog or cat and you have the perfect prescription for an overwhelming situation.  We are at capacity and can only take new dogs when we get adoptions.  We have many 2 to 5 year old dogs that are sweet and good within the pack but they just aren't getting a family to consider them.   I cannot create a situation where they are at risk.  Our quarantine kennels are full so until we can move a few dogs into homes, we are at a standstill.  This breaks my heart.

I stopped to feed two dogs along the side of a rural road today. They looked as if they have not been out there long. They were skiddish and wouldn't come very close but they were hungry.  So, I fed them and I'll return tomorrow with more food.  I'll keep feeding them until I have space.  Fortunately the road is not a dangerous highway, but any road can be fatal for a dog.  I'll just have to do the best I can and pray they stay safe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment